UH Hilo Energy Savings and Sustainability Committee
Sub-Committee of Long Range Budget Planning Committee
This committee provides:
- broad input to the Long Range Budget Planning Committee regarding ways to save on energy costs and have more sustainable practices on the UH Hilo campus,
- strategies for obtaining additional resources for energy savings and sustainability programs,
- long range strategic planning for energy savings and sustainability, and;
- suggestions for methods of communicating to the campus regarding energy conservation methods and sustainability program.
The committee members assist the Vice Chancellor of Administrative Affairs in gathering data and communicating information regarding current electricity costs, energy program, and need to decrease consumption and improve our campus energy habits. The impacts of a program plan for energy savings and sustainability will be to make recommendation on policy and procedures related to the UH Hilo campus with a goal of achieving savings in energy costs and change the current philosophy of how the campus current operates in regard to energy usage and areas that impact it.
Members of this committee shall be required to:
- maintain a university wide viewpoint,
- be willing to look at strategies for developing more efficiencies,
- be collegial in their discussions, and;
- have both a short and long range perspective to the issues.
The purpose and responsibilities of the UH Hilo Sustainabililty Subcommittee of the LRBPC was adopted on October 17, 2008.
Sustainability Tips of the Week
- Tip 08/02/2010 Go Big & Save!
- Tip 07/26/2010 Visit your Local Library
- Tip 07/19/2010 Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is...Instead of the Trash
- Tip 07/12/2010 Quick Tricks to make your car Go Green (Recycle Used Car Products)
- Tip 07/05/2010 Quick Tricks to make your car Go Green (Drive It or Turn It Off)
- Tip 06/28/2010 Quick Tricks to make your car Go Green (Don't Ignore the Light!)
- Tip 06/21/2010 Quick Tricks to make your car Go Green (Just say NO!)
- Tip 06/14/2010 Quick Tricks to make your car Go Green (Watch your Speed)
- Tip 06/07/2010 Quick Tricks to make your car Go Green (Travel Light)
- Tip 05/31/2010 Renewable Energy
- Tip 05/24/2010 So Fresh & So Clean...
- Tip 05/17/2010 Plant a Tree!
- Tip 05/10/2010 Who is your Pest Control Really Hurting (Fleas)
- Tip 05/03/2010 Who is your Pest Control Really Hurting (Wasps)
- Tip 04/26/2010 Who is your Pest Control Really Hurting (Cockroaches)
- Tip 04/19/2010 Who is your Pest Control Really Hurting (Dust Mites)
- Tip 04/12/2010 Who is your Pest Control Really Hurting (Ants)
- Tip 04/05/2010 Goodbye Desktop-Hello Laptop
- Tip 03/29/2010 The Breakdown of Recycling
- Tip 03/22/2010 Cook up some Energy Savings
- Tip 03/15/2010 Cordless Phone = Energy Vampire
- Tip 03/08/2010 Turn that old Paper into Something New!
- Tip 03/01/2010 Be Sustainable & Healthy too!
- Tip 02/22/2010 Choose "Naked" Foods
- Tip 02/15/2010 A Waste-Free Lunch
- Tip 02/08/2010 Take Just 1
- Tip 02/01/2010 Help Save Trees by Saving Paper
- Tip 01/25/2010 Get off Junk Mail & Catalog Lists
- Tip 01/18/2010 Be more Sustainable on Laundry Day
- Tip 01/11/2010 Conserve Water in the Bathroom
- Tip 01/04/2010 Sustainable School-Supply Shopping
- 2009 Tip 4 Use a Reusable Water Bottle
- 2009 Tip 3 Everyday Actions
- 2009 Tip 2 Sustainable Clothing
- 2009 Tip 1 More Everyday Actions
Special Events and Activities!
- Business of Innovation: Sopogy, Inc. Alternative Energy Speaker: March 31, 2010
- "UH Hilo going green" - March 13, 2009 Press Release
- "Solar panel project marks first step in big energy savings at UH" - April 8, 2009 Press Release
Other Resources - Web Links and Documents
- UH System Sustainability Matters - Office of the President of the University of Hawaii. A weekly update.
- Recycle Hawaii
- UHHSA Sustainability
- Natural Step Primer Guidebook
- Natural Step Planning for Sustainability- A Starter Guide
- Sustainability UH
- Hawaii County's Mass Transit Agency-How to catch a Hele-on Bus
- County of Hawaii Zero Waste
- UH Hilo Environmental Career Resources Website
- Cam Muir, Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, Chair
- Norman Arancon, Assistant Professor, College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management
- Dawna Coutant, Associate Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Jeffrey Davis, Assistant Professor, College of Arts and Sciences
- Kolin Kettleson, Director of Auxiliary Services
- Richard Francis, UH Hilo Student Association Sustainability Committee
- Marcia Sakai, Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs, ex officio